Amazon is a vast marketplace and nowadays when people are so dependent on the internet
to think of a life without E-commerce is unimaginable. However, there is a lot of competition
among the sellers on the platform. Have you ever wondered among the millions of products
in the database, how will you outrank your competitors? One needs to have the correct
knowledge and information on how to climb up the ladder for listing their products on
For sellers, it is important to learn about the key strategies and tools to understand how
Amazon SEO (Search Engine Optimization) works. We are here to help you optimize your
product listing, and make it clear, and appealing to potential buyers.
What is Amazon SEO?
Amazon search engine optimization (SEO) helps in optimizing product listings so that they
rank higher in product searches on Amazon website. There are a few simple steps that can
boost sales and help shoppers spot your brand while searching for a particular product.
Amazon SEO monitors the keywords buyers use when looking to make a purchase. SEO
tactics can be used by an Amazon seller to achieve the goals listed below:
● To increase product and brand visibility
● To drive more traffic to product listings
● To increase sales
● To boost conversion rate (percentage of potential buyers that complete a purchase
out of the total number of visitors)
A brief account of how Amazon SEO works:
● Search results page- the factors that help in search results include optimized images,
product titles, product descriptions, product features, etc.
● Amazon search boxes, where the shoppers search for items by typing a word or
phrase into the search box.
● Search filters- Online shoppers have the option to use various filters to list search
results like best sellers, departments, customer reviews, prices, etc.
● Sponsored Products- Ads show on shopping results pages and on product detail
pages. To reach high-intent shoppers looking for products similar to the ones you’ve
listed, you can use sponsored products.
● Amazon sales rank- Naturally, the higher you rank, the more selling prospects you’ll
have. In Amazon, sellers are provided with a rating based on seller performance
Here is a step-by-step guide for listing on Amazon:
Amazon has millions of customers whose goal is to buy something from the marketplace.
When they search for their desired product they are presented with various options. If you
are a seller your aim is to be at the top of the listings for a better chance to catch the eye of
your target customer. Amazon SEO and Amazon’s A9 algorithm play a huge role in that.
Step 1: Conducting keyword research
While searching for something online keywords are the words and phrases people search
for. So, you should be very specific when compiling a list of keywords. Try to put yourself
into your customer’s shoes and figure out what keywords to include in your SEO strategy.
● You can take a look at the keywords in the drop-down suggestions of the Amazon
search box. You can also get help from Amazon’s suggested and related item
● As a starting point for your own listings use competitor results. Compare product
search terms after experimenting with similar searches on Amazon.
● Include long-tail and short-tail keywords.
● For a successful SEO strategy, both types of keywords are necessary. Long-tail
keywords are used by buyers who are looking for highly specific products.
Step 2: Optimizing the product title
The product title (product name) is one of the important fields that a seller should focus on to
rank on Amazon listings. The right product title also influences a product’s conversion rates
and click-through rates besides increasing the search rankings.
Here are a few things that can increase the chances of a customer clicking on a title:
● You should pay attention to the title length, the recommended length is around 60-80
● Customer’s attention span is short so it is better to go for shorter product titles than
● Extremely short titles take up less area and hence often have lower CTRs (Click-
● The product title should be similar to the physical packaging of your product.
● Do not capitalize the whole title.
● Non-language ASCII characters such as ©, Æ, or ® should not be included.
● The product should be identified by the title and make sure to use proper
Make sure to use 2-3 keywords that not only have a high search volume but also explain the
Step 3: Optimizing product descriptions
High-quality product descriptions are very important to capture the attention of the
customers. Customers evaluate and purchase products by reading product descriptions.
Always make sure to highlight a particular information that is not listed elsewhere to make
your product stand out.
Here is how you can create high-quality product descriptions:
● Band names must be included.
● Be specific about the product size and measurements.
● Mention the material type if it is relevant to your product.
● Give relevant information like quantity, packaging, and colors.
Step 4: Optimizing product images
Good-quality images visually appeal to the target customers. Try to add multiple product
images that include pictures from different angles. Make sure to highlight the key features of
Factors to keep in mind while adding product images:
● The images should be appealing, clear, and informative. Try to add at least six
● The product images must have a white background.
● The product should fill at least 85% of the image space.
● The photo angle should be flattering and the product must be recognisable.
● The image should be focused and well-lit.
● It is recommended to use larger images that are at least 1000 pixels in width or
height to enable its “zoom” function.
Make sure to follow all product image requirements and upload images that meet technical
Step 5: Optimizing product key features
Key features (bullet points) are a huge factor as part of a customer search. Keywords should
be included in well-written bullet points. The key features should be clear and descriptive to
help customers make a buying decision. The key features of the product should be highlighted in the bullet points. Try to keep the description within 1000 words. Pay attention to capital letters and punctuation marks.
Promotional and pricing information should not be included.
Step 6: Product Stock Availability
If your product runs ‘out of stock’ that can cost you a huge amount of rank loss. If you set
reminders using Amazon FBA, you will get automatically notified whenever your product
inventory needs a restock. You can use standalone stock management platforms so that you
do not suffer from product deficits.
Step 7: Optimizing product price
Product price is one of the critical factors that helps in deciding a product purchase. While
setting a price for your product, always check the competition for identical products. If the
price gap is big, it will not work in your favor. Make sure to match or beat your competitor’s
Step 8: Product’s Backend Search Keywords
These keywords have an impact on the search of a product, these are the keywords that are
not disclosed to the shoppers. These keywords are usually indexed by Amazon’s A9
algorithm. The important things to include in your backend are:
● Keywords or search terms that you could not include in your description or title.
● The misspelled keywords related to your product.
● Translation words of your product if the location has a regional language known to
the majority of the customers in that area.
If you wondering about Amazon’s A9 algorithm, here is how the Amazon ranking
Now, what Is Amazon’s A9 Algorithm? A9 is Amazon’s product ranking algorithm, it shows
the results based on the keywords or key terms entered in its search box. Some other
factors that influence the algorithm are the customers’ shopping preferences, past
purchases, and various other factors.
Two important parameters are taken into account in the A9 algorithm while ranking product
listings: relevance and performance. Relevance is how relevant or similar the keywords in
your listing relate to the search keyword, and performance is based on your product listing’s
previous sales. These metrics are used by the A9 Amazon algorithm to determine how likely
someone is to make a purchase.
Amazon is the biggest eCommerce marketplace with highly committed shoppers. The
competition to list a product on Amazon is tough. Whether you’re just starting out or are
already on Amazon you need to focus on improving your Amazon SEO to get better organic
and paid rankings. We are sure that if you follow these tips, you’ll immediately start seeing
results and you will make your way up the ladder.